"The remembering makes it now. And sometimes remembering will lead to a story, which makes it forever. That's what stories are for. Stories are for joining the past to the future. Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are. Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember except the story." -Tim O'Brien

06 September 2011

Reflections on Labor Day

For most Americans, Labor Day is the popular day off of classes and of work, the marker of the ‘end’ of the summer. For many, it is a vital day to remember our workers in the U.S., to protect and celebrate labor, and to promote better conditions in our workplaces and living wages for our workers.

For me this year, Labor Day took on a whole new meaning as I celebrated the holiday with my first official day of work at the Kindertreff Delbrücke
here in Berlin. As some of you already know, the Kindertreff is an afterschool program for underprivileged children in one of Berlin’s most impoverished districts. The children, many of whom are themselves or have parents who immigrated to Germany, often fall behind in school, since many enter school without a secure basic understanding of the German language, are often cast aside as children who will never amount to anything and their schools have many of the city’s most disengaged teachers.

Although my first ‘official’ day of work was yesterday on Labor Day, I had the opportunity to see some of the kids on Sunday at Berlin’s United Methodist district gathering. I attended worship in the morning and was able to reconnect with many of my friends from the church that I had been attending here last winter. After a lovely picnic lunch together, the gathering reconvened for an additional hour, during which time different groups sang, performed skits, etc. I was ‘interviewed’ in front of everyone, and afterwards six of the children from the Kindertreff
performed a Turkish song by Tarkan for the gathered audience. Then, we played in the park where the event had been held for another hour or so. After a kid’s wading pool was discovered, only three of us returned home dry!

So after an eventful Sunday, Monday’s ‘labor’ was of a more traditional sense. Together with my supervisor, I went to one of the nearby schools and helped teach a German class for seven children who have recently immigrated here and/or have no to limited German comprehension and speaking skills. Afterwards, we had regular homework help and free play time at the church where the Kindertreff
is housed from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m..

Both days, I have been overwhelmed by the greetings from all of the children and youth whom I have been able to see. Most are thrilled that I have returned and I have been plagued with hugs and questions; they are so excited that I will be able to stay here for such a long period of time – seventeen months! It is wonderful to have returned to a place where I am so appreciated and feel so welcome, not only from the children and my supervisor, but also from my flat mates, friends and church communities throughout Berlin.


I am so thankful! Even if, yes, it does mean that I have to work U.S. holidays and ‘labor’ on Labor Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment