"The remembering makes it now. And sometimes remembering will lead to a story, which makes it forever. That's what stories are for. Stories are for joining the past to the future. Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are. Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember except the story." -Tim O'Brien

26 April 2012

Charged. Rooted. United. Reflections from General Conference

OnFire: the young united methodist justice movement: Charged. Rooted. United.: I work everyday with children and youth. Usually, when they ask me how old I am and learn that I am ‘already 24!’ I am automatically ‘old.’ And yes, from a child’s perspective, I am old. Especially when many of the children with whom I work have parents just years older than myself. 
 
Stepping beyond my daily work environment where I am ‘old,’ it is quite different to be here at General Conference, where one of my main ‘identities’ is linked with being ‘young’ and being a ‘young adult.’ Looking at the faces of the delegates, the volunteers, the agency staff, the marshals, the pages and the press gathered here in Tampa, I am young. We, the young people, are underrepresented as part of the global church gathered here....

No comments:

Post a Comment