"The remembering makes it now. And sometimes remembering will lead to a story, which makes it forever. That's what stories are for. Stories are for joining the past to the future. Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are. Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember except the story." -Tim O'Brien

17 February 2012

A Fulbright Reflection

At this time last year, I was mourning my retreat from Berlin as a Fulbright scholar and preparing to move to Essen, a city where I had had no connections and knew no familiar faces. However, as fate would seem to have it, I have been lucky to once again return to my home here in Berlin. Unreservedly, I am glad that this February does not require the same retreat that the previous year demanded. Instead, I continue to have months ahead to spend with my friends, colleagues, and the children here in Berlin.

A few weeks back, Fulbright had asked me to share a reflection on my Fulbright experience for their online newsletter and to also reflect on what it is like to be back in Germany again. The reflection is now up and published on the web.

For your reading pleasure, I pass along this link:
Integration, from the Other Side

No comments:

Post a Comment